of the type of sailing vessel called


From the "Enclyclopedia of Nautical Knowledge" by Cornell Maritime Press:
        SLOOP. One masted fore-and-aft rigged vessel, usually carrying a fore staysail and one or more jibs and, also, in heavier craft a gaff topsail (formerly a square topsail). Of similar rig to that of the "cutter", difference between the two is more of a yachting distinction than designation of a type. Actually, a "cutter" is a deep-keeled or narrow-beamed "sloop", the original name for the rig, although attempts have been made to distinguish the two by crediting a cutter with a larger spread of canvas, particularly in the head sails. A popular distinction in the smaller craft field is that a sloop is a broader beamed, carries a centerboard, and is intended for smooth-water sailing.

From "The Dictionary of Nautical Literacy" by Robert McKenna:
        SLOOP. Single-masted sailing vessel. Its mast is set farther forward than that of a "cutter", and it carries fewer "headsails", usually just one.

These 2 definitions courtesy of:
Captain's Nautical Supplies
Sales Department
2500 - 15th Avenue West
Seattle WA 98119
Phone: (800) 448-2278; (206) 283-7242
Fax: (206) 281-4921


Online "Wikipedia, The Free Encyclopedia" gives more details on the nautical term "sloop" at:

However, keep in mind that these more modern international definitions and technical details might not necessarily agree with the term "sloop" or "slupp" as applied to Norwegian coastal sailing ships of the 1700's and 1800's.


We welcome additional definitions or explanations.

Back to Sloop Restoration page

Hit Counter