Getting there - Newark airport and flight to Gardermoen Airport in Norway.
June 23-24, 2000
and first impressions -- Dinner with Norway Listers
from Oslo to Myrdal -- Famous Flåm Line -- express boat to Balestrand
Balestrand, Part I June
Balestrand, Part II
Express boat out Songnefjord & coast to Bergen
Part I - Harbor scenes, Bryggen & central Bergen.
Part II - Edvard Grieg's home & Museum of Fisheries
Part III - Rosencranz Tower; City fountains, Funicular up Mt. Fløyen,
evening quayside activities
Bergen & Haugesund - Bergen fish market setup, church & art galleries,
bus to Haugesund, Haugesund Maritim Hotel
Haugesund & Tysvær - Heather Center, Copper Mine, Slogvik Farm
Greeting, Aksdal Emigration Concert July
Haugesund, Part I - Walk about town, Ola Flytt park & old boats
Haugesund, Part II & boat to Stavanger - Haraldshaugen, Dokken Museum,
first photos of Stavanger
Drive south east of Stavanger with new found cousins - Seldal, Mork, Byrkjedal,
Stavanger Emigration Festival, Part I - Parade, Anna of Sand, Emigration
Pageant - Afternoon of July 4th, 2000
Stavanger Emigration Festival, Part II - Emigration Concert & Cruise
on the Gamle Rogaland, Rubbing Shoulders with Dignitaries, Celebrities
& Friends - Evening of July 4th
STAVANGER, Emigration Center, Canning Museum, Old Stavanger, Fish Market,
and TYSVÆR, old Quaker Meeting House & Cemetery,
"The Last Quaker," Stakland Family
18. Hervik, Tysvær,
Rogaland Konservefabrikk Co. (Fruit Processing) and Slogvik "Teacher Talk"
Farm, Part I - Walk around farm, restored Mill House, Lake.
Slogvik Farm, Part II - Spinning, Fjord Views, Visit to Mother Laura's,
North Askeland Cousins and Tysvær Kommune Handicraft Cooperative.
Sunday - Slogvik Brunch, Sandbekken, Tysvær Church & Cemeteries,
Cleng Peerson Monuments.
Farm, Part III - Old School House, Fjording, Bedehus, Kåre's Bruk
1, View from the Fjord, Ancient Slogvik Home Timbers.
Dot Day" - Tour of many Tysvær Farms where Keith's Ancestors once
lived, Meeting Sigmar & Nedstrand/Kleiberg Tour, Coffee at Rita's.
25. Slogviks to Velles - Good-byes at Slogvik farm - to Stavanger & Petroleum Museum - express boat to Jørpeland and the Velle home.
July 11, 2000
26. Solbakk Petroglyphs between Jørpeland and Tau - in the Ryfylke
Region of Rogaland Fylke
27. Skiftun Farm in Hjelmeland kommune - Day drive north to Skiftun - visit with cousins and tour of Stabbur "museum" full of fine old artifacts - visit to Old Årdal Church
28. Kristian's mechanical "Ox" (& related mini logging equipment) and the Velle's Boat.
29. Visit to Gjesdal and Sandnes Areas Part I - Ferry from Oanes to
Lauvvik, Tour Gjesdal Kommune, Visit Madland Farm.
Visit to Gjesdal and Sandnes Areas Part II - Gjesdal Church & Cemetery, Meeting with Gjesdal History Group at Lima Farm Historical Center
(Limagarden Bygdatun), Visit Seldal Farm and Høle.
31. Jørpeland Fish Market and visit at Martin Nag's Summer Home
32. Lysefjorden - The Tour Boat Cruise from Forsand to Lysebotn
and Return on the Famous Lysefjord.
33. Tour of Prehistoric Village at
Landa, Forsand kommune, and visit to the Lars Nag Home
at Helland, Strand kommune.
34. Ferry from Tau in Sanda to Stavanger - Quiet Sunday
(July 16) in
35. Monday, July 17, in Stavanger - Emigration Center, Norwegian Printing Museum, City Scenes and Street Statues.
36. Train from Stavanger to Oslo - Views of the Countryside
- Tuesday. July
37. Tuesday in Oslo - Munch Museum, Karl Johans gate, Royal Palace, National Theater -
38. Vigeland Sculpture Park
(Vigelandsparken) in the large Frogner Park, Oslo.
39. The Norwegian Folk Museum (Norsk Folkemuseum) on the Bygdøy peninsula, Oslo.
40. Last Evening in Oslo - Hertervig Paintings and Sites near our
Hotel, the Rica Oslo. July
41. Leaving Oslo -
Our Flight Home
July 20, 2000
End - Hilsen!
BONUS PHOTOS (post Norway Trip 2000)
Knut Hildal from
Odda, Hordaland, Norway, visit Peggy and Keith Wheeler in Mad River in northern
California, Nov. 2001.
Check out our Norway Christmas